PDA

View Full Version : New 2 Anime

Qjij_jijQ
Apr 13th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Eh... well, yeah. I'm kinda new to this whole "anime" thing, so I was wondering if you had any particular anime movie you think I should check out...

I already saw:
- Princess Mononoké
- Street Fighter Alpha: The Movie

Both of them were quite good and I was wonderin' if you had any other suggestions for me ? I like when there's a lot of action, fights and blood is always nice, right ? :right:

So... What you got for me ?

merylsilverburg
Apr 13th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Hey! I'm happy to hear you're into the anime thing! Okay, if you're into anime movies, then you should check out:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Blood: The Vampire

Those two are probably the best ones to check out, but since I don't know many anime movies, I can't recommend any others. Maybe someone else can help you out. I hope this helps get you started. :)

Qjij_jijQ
Apr 13th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Thank you kindly ma'am... I'll try to check them out.

Anyone has any other suggestions ?

Miata
Apr 15th, 2002, 12:54 PM
Start with Akira. This is the bench-mark anime that can compete with, and for the most part, exceed anything Disney can muster visually. The story is deep, complex, and hard to describe breifly. Macross Plus is a four episode mini-series available on two dvd's or four tapes. From the Robotech universe, this series stands on it's own, so you won't have had to see anything else to like it. Many fans love the Cowboy Bebop series and no it's not about cowboys. It's about space-based bounty hunters and has grown-up themes. Neon Genesis Evangelion is the pinnacle for series based anime. Stunning visuals and a story that'll make you think. And think again. My fav's Detanator Orgun, but it's hard to find. If you do, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. BTW, I enjoy the Mech thing: big impossible robots people pilot around blowing the hell outta everything. A series that handles this well is Gasara Ki. Hope this helps. If these lead you in the right direction, I can name a bunch more like 'em!

happy_doughnut
Apr 20th, 2002, 03:49 PM
You should check out....aw dern! I forgot what it's called!! It's something like...Vampire Princess Hunter...ah! A lilttle help please!!

merylsilverburg
Apr 20th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Mena
You should check out....aw dern! I forgot what it's called!! It's something like...Vampire Princess Hunter...ah! A lilttle help please!!

Are you talking about "Vampire Princess Miyu"? Or are you talking about "Demon Hunter Yoko"? :confused:

IcyMourdor
Apr 20th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion

Cowboy Bebop is just my personal favorite and I finally saw a few episodes of Evangelion. Both are great anime. I hear Gundam Wing is good too, but I haven't seen any of them.

happy_doughnut
Apr 20th, 2002, 06:28 PM
I don't know...hmm...*thinks* Oh yeah! I meant Demon Hunter Yoko!! Where did I get "vampire" from...*sigh*
Anyway, you should check those out. They're cool...well, in my opinion anyway.
Oh and, Thanks Meryl!! ^_^

merylsilverburg
Apr 20th, 2002, 07:17 PM
No prob, Mena. :) But, yeah, Qjij_jijQ for anime movies, you should check out:

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Blood: The Last Vampire
Akira
Jin-Roh

These movies are pretty bloody and action-filled, especially Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust and Akira.

For anime series, check out:
Cowboy Bebop (Very good action in here, though some people complain it's boring)
Evangelion (Lot of mecha and action)
Demon Hunter Yoko (Lots of action, deals with sealing demons)

There's a lot more, but right now, I can't think of too many animes with action, blood, and fights. My brain's all warped. :roll: Maybe someone else can help.

x157anz
May 1st, 2002, 03:50 PM
This thread has helped me :cool: , as i am also new to anime and all i know about is DBZ. :laugh: Stupid aint i.
I am thinking about buying ikira and some others you have menchioned
:ghost:
cheers

Ruby Moon
May 1st, 2002, 07:02 PM
I recommend you to see Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.

BowevelJoe
May 2nd, 2002, 11:25 AM
Spriggan is a great movie to start out on

Dont start out on Neon Genesis Evangelion or Serial Experiments Lain, unless your into the super wierd stuff that makes you think alot

Cannibal Clown
May 2nd, 2002, 04:34 PM
A fast pace mecha battle anime is Gundam wing, a bit long, but very enjoyable. For a deep plot, I suggest Ghost in the shell, not a lot of action, but what's there, it's worth seeing.

I also think that Ninja scroll, Samuri X, or Ninja resurrection are a good trio to watch for some action. It's all samuri stuff thoug, as you can tell by the names.

With some real cool action, and some sweet visual effects and violence, see wicked city, but be warned, there is a lot of graphic nudity in this movie, and shouldn't be seen around your parents.

I love Neon Genisis Evangelion. It very good, with a few stale points in the drawing area, but the all out animation is cool, and the mecha designs are awesome. The charcters are very deep, and the series also has a lot of comedy in it witch is good, because without it, the confusing plot would ingulf you, and you will be dieing for just two minutes of time to ease your mind.

Cowboy bebop is one of my favorites, the action is cool, and the draings are the best than any series I've ever seen. The story can be very deep atr times, and the characters are awesome and the story is very funny and realistic. And the best part of it, is that they didn't kill the show by adding a bunch of wierd aliens that don't make the series realistic.

Escaflowne, is also a deep story, which anyone can get into. The mechas are very original and the characters are real cool. Not much comedy at all, but the story and diolauge is very well thought out. And the battles are also real sweet.

And Akira is the greatest of the great. Even though it was made in 1988, it is still, IMO one of the greatest drawn cartoons ever made. The motor cycle scenes are real cool. And the way the show evolves into something like a super freak of nature plot. it's still worth watching, over and over and over, till you can finally understand what the heck is going on.

Macross plus is also an excellent movie. Very realistic, and a cool and unique story line, to add to the visually stunning animation. The characters are very likable, and the way it all fits together in the end is real cool.

If your into a real fast plot, with a lot of anger and violence, then get X. It's an interesting anime that can get your attention quickly, and keep you excited through out the entire movie. It took me a second time to see it to actuallt appreachiate it though.

And of coarse, the entire DBZ series, if patient enough, can be real cool. The action scenes never seem to stop, which at times, seems to kill the story thoug, but the characters are well developed, and in the end, after watching the whole thing, you will thanki yourself for watching it. But I do admit, that the animation isn't close to the ones I've mentioned up above, but it's still a good addition for a true anime lover.

I haven't seen many action anime, and of the few I have seen, these are all I think were any good. Bubble gum Crisis was kinda cool, but it's kinda a chick flick anime, or also known as a shoujo anime. But I havem't saeen a lot of japanese cartoons, and I'm sure that there are a lot of others out there. So keep loking, and take the titles mentionded up above into consideration when starting your collection.

Oh yeah, and one minor note, I suggest you see all of these animes in theiur original japanese voices, because the english diolauge kills it. Excpt for DBZ, and Cowboy bebop. In DBZ, the japanese voices are just too annoying, and the english actors for cowboy bebop are unbelievably weell done. In My Opinion, better than the japanese ones.

There's my info. I hope it's appreachiated.

merylsilverburg
May 2nd, 2002, 05:58 PM
Very good info, Cannibal. ;) Also, another anime movie that was just released (well, released in the US) is Metropolis. It involves humans and robots living together in a future world. I haven't seen it yet, but you know, everyone will probably say it's good. Also, not too much blood and action, but I would definitely recommend Perfect Blue. Personally, I liked it very much and it is a really deep, psychological anime movie. Check it out even if it's not suited to your tastes. ;)

x157anz
May 11th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Im back one the forums after about a week:cool:
And i have wached some cool manga films.

Cyber Ciy edo 808 - i loved this film !
Blood : the last vampire - great film, but only 45 mins long :(
Street fighter 2
vampire hunter D - just ordered
Wings of honneamise - just ordered

Have any of you seen these films + what are your thoughts?

Now seen as though i have liked anime for only a week, i dont think i have done too bad
:cool:

im thinking about Ninja scroll and Akira next.

Hylas
May 11th, 2002, 07:12 PM
NGE (Neon Genesis Evangelion) requires a lot of attention, to follow the plot and the info spread here and there. It's not easy to understand some parts of it, but it's surely one of the most amazing series ever created.