PDA

View Full Version : Kojima Speaks About the Future of MGS

merylsilverburg
Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:29 PM
Okay, I got my recent issue (May) of OPM and there was an article on Kojima-san as he speaks about the future of the MGS series. I'll just sum it up for you guys:

After receiving some negative feedback about MGS2, Kojima-san agreed that there were too many "passive cinematic elements" and not enough gameplay. Kojima-san also states that "Raiden was a one-time character, unlikely to return in a future installment" because he received a lot of negative feedbacks on the character's involvement with the sequel. However, Kojima-san thought that "through Raiden, we get a new perspective of Snake; a new appreciation". He talks about the missing character from MGS2, Chinaman (which MakgSnake already stated) and his abilities. Chinaman was supposed to be like a Jet-Li character with a body tattoo of a dragon. When Chinaman enters the water, the tattoo was supposed to "consume" him and changes him into a dragon. This character was supposed to possess a lot of powers and abilities that Vamp possessed (like walking on water, etc) and he was originally planned to be in the same room as Vamp when Raiden fights him. Vamp was originally supposed to be a woman but they decided to make him a guy because of the removal of Chinaman. As for the future of MGS, Kojima-san is not sure if there'll be another game, but if there is, he won't have much involvement in it, but he'll teach his team on how to make the MGS games and hopes they'll do a good job on the rest of the series.

Well, that's it. Also, the reason why Rose in MGS2 was so buggiful, was partly influenced by Kojima-san's wife, who used to bug him about their anniversary. Of course, the guy forgot, so he thought he would incorporate this into the game. Kojima-san also said that Rose represents his "ideal" woman: Smart, pretty, and a scientist. Hmmm......:laugh: Anyway, I'm sure surprised about the Chinaman character. It would've been cool to watch his transformation from a human being to a dragon! :shock: Hopefully, if there is going to be a third MGS, I hope his teams does an excellent job at it. :)

Hadoken
Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:42 PM
yeah, I hope the new team does well.
chinaman seemed like one hell of a character. kinda unbelievable, which may have been a reason they left him out.
I was wondering why rose was such a b**** all the time. lol
guess hideo didnt know. anniversary`s are important!:D
but eh, rose as an ideal woman?
*shivers*
if she doesnt call 24/7...:p
and ask so many damn questions!...

merylsilverburg
Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:59 PM
:laugh: I agree Hadoken! Man, if I was a guy, I'd be so friggin' annoyed! Hell! I'm a girl and I'm still annoyed with the chick! :laugh: I guess all those Raiden fans will be disappointed not to have him back in the future games. I'm not saying I'm happy that he's not returning, but.....honestly....I had a feeling that Raiden was "just" a character and not really that important to the developing series. I mean....

*MAYBE SPOILERS* Raiden already settled the score with Solidus and everything, so I didn't really see the point of his return. Plus, the ending with Rose and her pregnancy kinda hints of Raiden not making a come-back, so...

The one character that I really do hope will return is Meryl. Man, I like her so much! *Girly Mode On* Meryl is sooo cute with Snake! :love: Sigh.....well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see, ya know? I mean.....the voice actress who did Emma's voice in MGS2 was actually the voice actress who did Meryl's voice in MGS, so I kinda hope she'll re-appear in the future games. :)

Pu the Owl
Apr 4th, 2002, 03:21 PM
*nods in agreement*

Let's hope Meryl comes back in the next game...

MakgSnake
Apr 4th, 2002, 03:58 PM
I Loved The Game. And Especially The Cut Scenes I Wanted More Of Them. But...I Guess We Wont Seee ANy Cinematics Anymore IN MGS3, If It'll Be All ONLINE.. DARN!.!

And About Meryl, She'll Be There...I Just Know It. She Has To Be. Or Else I'll Brake Up With Her!.! Lol!

nanjij
Apr 4th, 2002, 04:03 PM
in the dvd that the pal version got of mgs2 hideo talks about him wanting to make a film
sounds intresting ;)

Uchiha Sasuke
Apr 4th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by nanjij
in the dvd that the pal version got of mgs2 hideo talks about him wanting to make a film
sounds intresting ;)

Hay thats cool.Was a CG movie he was talking about or a real one with actors outta hollywood.

Dante
Apr 5th, 2002, 12:34 AM
Raiden was only in it so they could tell the story from another persons point of view and we could see snake for what others thought of him and theres ment to be a message like about your genes and snake and his bros couldnt do that because they were clones of big boss and they wanted to leave there mark in the world

the messages r about passing on knowledge from generation from generation

or atleast that is what it says in the pal dvd ;)

Hadoken
Apr 5th, 2002, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
I Loved The Game. And Especially The Cut Scenes I Wanted More Of Them. But...I Guess We Wont Seee ANy Cinematics Anymore IN MGS3, If It'll Be All ONLINE.. DARN!.!

I doubt it`ll be online. it might have an online feature, but not be entirely online.
I mean, what would they do? have a couple thousand snakes running around a base at the exact same time? :D
Probably not.

Soul Angel
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Hadoken

I doubt it`ll be online. it might have an online feature, but not be entirely online.
I mean, what would they do? have a couple thousand snakes running around a base at the exact same time? :D
Probably not.

Actually Hadoken, Kojima is planning on making a online MGS game

Here is alittle bit of what it said in the OPS2

Kojima-san tells us exclusively of his ideas for an online Metal Gear:
"In an online Metal Gear game you could be playing with four other people and all of you are Solid Snake. The better players will proceed in the game, but the weaker Solid Snakes will maybe die in 5 seconds and not get to play any more. Not everyone gets to be the hero...."

Sounds interesting... :)

Spank-A-Thon
Apr 5th, 2002, 02:19 PM
How funny would it be to see about 12 different Snakes in boxes creeping around a room... :laugh:

Heh heh... that's quite a stupid thought!

- S

Hadoken
Apr 5th, 2002, 08:46 PM
i thought kojima wasnt doin more MG games. take part, but make em?
that bastard is a liar!:D jk
but wow, if your the weak one, you get killed off... how nice.
"you are the weakest snake, go die!"

merylsilverburg
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Yes, an online MGS sounds pretty cool actually. Hopefully, each of the Snakes get different colored bandanas in order to distinguish each one. So you won't get confused. :laugh: I know, that if there was going to be an online MGS....I'd be the weakest Snake. *Sigh* I love the MGS series, but I suck at them! I'm a big coward, that's why. :laugh:

Hadoken
Apr 5th, 2002, 09:48 PM
you know what would be a nice feature?
If the female gamers out there could play as meryl instead of snake.

Infernal Mass
Apr 5th, 2002, 11:26 PM
I have a feeling Kojimas' name may not be on the box but he'll have a liitle bit of influence to the third MGS..anyway here's somethin' from a newbie it's link to a video that has some of the most surprising MGS footage i've seen ...you gotta watch carefully because it doesn't last long...okay now the footage is of Rose fighting Raiden on top of federal hall(where raiden defeats solidus)..i don't know what version it is but it looks great.
here it is...

http://www.techtv.com/extendedplay/videofeatures/story/0,24330,3378294,00.html

info: look for the box that says video highlight the whole story talks about ladies in videogames.;)

merylsilverburg
Apr 6th, 2002, 08:53 PM
you know what would be a nice feature?
If the female gamers out there could play as meryl instead of snake.

Ah, that'd be AWESOME! :D Great idea!

Infernal Mass
Apr 6th, 2002, 09:49 PM
:peoples:Bah!!.. that's the worst idea i've ever heard. Meryl, was a wreckless cry baby in MGS...if she wasn't in the game Mei Ling or Nastasha would have been the main female protagonist.IMO

Also if Meryl wasn't in MGS, Snake wouldn't have had to run all the way back to the Armory to grab a sniper rifle and save her..that was very time consuming and not necessary.

At best she deserves maybe a little cameo in MGS3 maybe a codec conversation...ok,ok, maybe a little sidequest or something but to play as Meryl would be really lame..unless they change her whole persona..ya know make her less of a crybaby and more of a babe like Mei Ling or Nastasha. :D .. lol!!

Hylas
Apr 6th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Mei Ling?!
ROFL :laugh:
There was Sniper Wolf, after all...

Infernal Mass
Apr 6th, 2002, 10:02 PM
:laugh: aw yeah! Sniper Wolf,would kick all thier asses Mei Ling and everyone...lol!!

that would be interesting, a character like Sniper Wolf is well deserving of her own title.

Mana
Apr 7th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Meryl was a cool character and I'd be cool to see her in the next game. Why do you say she's weak? She's supposed to have had troubles in her life. So I think her character is very well developed.

merylsilverburg
Apr 7th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Mana
Meryl was a cool character and I'd be cool to see her in the next game. Why do you say she's weak? She's supposed to have had troubles in her life. So I think her character is very well developed.

Yes, I agree. Meryl was a terrific character and though she wasn't exactly "strong", she had to put up with many problems in her life, so she was wary and unsure.

Infernal Mass
Apr 7th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Mana
Why do you say she's weak?

Meryl, wasn't weak :)..she was wreckless and had emotional troubles throughout the game..which gave her the spotlight as main female protagonist due to the amount of drama her backround provided to the game.

For example, remember the whole encounter in the ladies restroom were Snake meets her the second time..she dumps on Snake with all her troubles and Snake tells her to wash her face and get it together ..thus emphasizing the cold mentality of duty that makes his character what it is.I'm not saying that she was weak because, there are no weak characters in MGS..and if Meryl wasn't in MGS ..well MGS wouldn't be as good as it is without everyone that's in it.(Mei Ling, Nastasha,the mouse that ate the PAL key..etc..) i'm saying she's not the greatest..they(Konami) need to work on making her better/tougher(not too tough :D) if she's to return. Which i think is inevitable.

Now if Meryl had some the same characteristics..... of say Sniperwolf for example then that would be a great character.Which i think would happen because of the incident Meryl had with Sniper Wolf in MGS1, yes if they did bring her back she would have to have a whole diffrent mind set, no more trying to prove herself or anything like that.If she would come back in MGS3 like that then yeah that would deffinately own..but if she came back exactly the same then.. :(

[personally i thought Naomi and Sniper Wolfs backround stories were a bit more compelling.]

MakgSnake
Apr 8th, 2002, 08:35 AM
i thought kojima wasnt doin more MG games. take part, but make em?
that bastard is a liar!:D jk
Well He Said That He Wont Be Directing The Game, But As Him Being The Vice President Of KCEJ, He'd Probably Put In A Little Bit Of His Hand. And He Did Say That He Will Do The Planning Of The Next MGS Game.!.!.

As For An Online Feature.....It Didn't Attract Me At All. I Dunno...But I'd Be More Happy To Have An Option To Finish The Game Without Getting Online As Well.!.

And As For Meryl Being A Playable Character......I Think She Would Most Probably Will Be.!. I Hope, Cause I Do Believe She Came In The Series As A Rookie But Its Been More Then 4 Years Now, I Am Sure She Is All Ready For Anything. After All She Is Snake's Girl.

The Boondock Saint
Apr 12th, 2002, 10:43 PM
kojima has said that his next game will deal with parenting. i'll play it.

he won't be doing anymore MGS. he's passing the series on like Sakaguchi is passing FF on to Matsuno after XI.